Skip to main content

Cricket politics again

PAKISTAN might have gone ahead with their Twenty20 World Cup clash against India but clearly there is little love lost between the two countries, especially when it comes to cricket.

Reports emanating from England this week suggest that Indian-owned franchises in The Hundred competition will not pick Pakistan players at next month’s auction amid concerns over a potential backlash in India due to ongoing tensions between the two. It is yet another case of politics spilling into cricket, but this time it is happening far away from the region, and in a competition India does not control.

The Hundred is the English Cricket Board’s flagship tournament — just like the Pakistan Super League is for the Pakistan Cricket Board and the Indian Premier League for the Board of Control for Cricket in India. But Indian investors — mostly IPL team owners — have poured money in four Hundred franchises — Manchester Super Giants, Mumbai Indians London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds.

Pakistan players have never been picked in South Africa’s SA20, where all six teams are owned by groups linked to the IPL. Indian owners of teams in the UAE’s ILT20 have also avoided signing Pakistan players. Naturally, it seems the four franchises in The Hundred will follow suit despite a total of 63 Pakistani cricketers — including almost the entire men’s T20 World Cup squad — entering the auction, while four players have registered for the women’s auction.

England’s T20 skipper Harry Brook said on Saturday that it would be a shame if Pakistan cricketers were not picked, while former captain Michael Vaughan asserted it made no sense for Indian-owned franchises to not sign Pakistan players when both sides play each other at global events.

The ECB has vowed a no-discrimination policy and must conform to it. Pakistan refused to play India at the ongoing T20 World Cup and only changed its mind in view of the game’s greater good. It is time for India to reciprocate.

Published in Dawn, February 22nd, 2026



from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/8UvjxBn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dodgers’ Shohei Ohtani skipping home run derby

Baseball’s biggest star is skipping the home run derby. Shohei Ohtani confirmed after Tuesday’s win over the Diamondbacks that he will not be participating as he continues to rehab an elbow injury that has prevented him from pitching this season. “There’s been some conversations going on,” Ohtani said, according to Juan Toribio of MLB.com . “I’m in the middle of my rehab progression, so it’s not going to look like I’ll be participating.” Manager Dave Roberts said Ohtani and the club reached the decision together. Ohtani signed a historic 10-year, $700-million contract with the Dodgers after winning his second AL MVP award last season with the Angels. Despite his elbow injury, he has served as the Dodgers’ primary DH this season and been one of the most productive hitters in baseball. Ohtani entered Tuesday hitting .316/.399/.635 with a 1.034 OPS. He hit his NL-leading 27th home run in the win. Ohtani had previously participated in the Derby in 2021. Last season’s champion, Vlad...

Pakistan flag installed at UNSC as country becomes non-permanent member for 8th time

The Pakistani national flag was installed in front of the United Nations Security Council chamber, as the country began its eighth term as a non-permanent member (2025-26) of the 15-member body, according to a press release issued by the Permanent Mission of Pakistan to the United Nations on Thursday. Pakistan on Wednesday began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC). Elected in June to replace Japan, Pakistan now occupies one of the two Asia-Pacific seats on the UNSC. It will preside over the council in July, a key opportunity to set the agenda and foster dialogue. View this post on Instagram This marks Pakistan’s eighth term on the council, providing an opportunity to shape discussions on pivotal international issues, but also posing significant challenges. “As part of the joining ceremony, flags of the five new incoming non-permanent members — Pakistan, Denmark, Greece, Panam...

Heathrow resumes operations as global airlines scramble after shutdown

London’s Heathrow Airport resumed full operations on Saturday, a day after a fire knocked out its power supply and shut Europe’s busiest airport, causing global travel chaos. The travel industry was scrambling to reroute passengers and fix battered airline schedules after the huge fire at an electrical substation serving the airport. Some flights had resumed on Friday evening, but the shuttering of the world’s fifth-busiest airport for most of the day left tens of thousands searching for scarce hotel rooms and replacement seats while airlines tried to return jets and crew to bases. Teams were working across the airport to support passengers affected by the outage, a Heathrow spokesperson said in an emailed statement. “We have hundreds of additional colleagues on hand in our terminals and we have added flights to today’s schedule to facilitate an extra 10,000 passengers travelling through the airport,” the spokesperson said. The travel industry, facing the prospect of a financial ...